Cooksville became a hub of commercial activity in the early township, centered on the intersection of two important early roads, Dundas Street and Hurontario Street. It also became the early administrative center for the surrounding township. The village of Cooksville was originally known as "Harrisville", named after its first settler Daniel Harris, who arrived in 1808, Jacob Cook arrived 1819. By 1820 Cook was awarded a contract to carry mail between York and Niagara and was operating a stagecoach service throughout much of Upper Canada. He was awarded a tavern licence in 1829, and immediately built an inn. the village was renamed "Cooksville" in 1836 and it continued to grow until 1852, when a fire destroyed a large portion of the village. Cooksville rebounded and became the centre for civic, industrial, commercial and education interests in Toronto Township.
Click Here For Listings In Cooksville